Monday, June 27, 2011

A Day at the Doctor's !!

NOT my usual subject line but a couple of funny incidents at the hospital made me draw a pen and paper in the waiting room. 
I haven't been able to hear clearly with my right ear after some water got into it while taking a shower. This had caused tremendous amount of pain days before, so I decided to get it looked at at the hospital, perhaps an infection might be surfacing.

So there are a couple of people there and service was moving sort of slow. Funny thing was that, white people usually show facial distress than verbal unlike black people. So this dude sitting opposite me, I believe, had really terrible pain and was feeling really distressed. He kept looking straight at me and his facial expression was so funny that I started giggling. I looked elsewhere since I didn't want to get him offended. Believe me, the last thing you want in another man's land is to tease him while he is in pain. 

I changed seats since I couldn't help it. Couple of minutes later, this old lady and her pretty daughter come to sit opposite me in my new area, and I keep sneaking peeps at her daughter and I see her doing the same. Who wouldn't sneak a peek at this fine chocolate girl. The lady stands up and tries to show her daughter through the glass window that there is a stranger standing beside her car. She tries for a couple of minutes and her daughter is not noticing. The young girl now finds it funny, turns to me and smiles. The old lady then decides to step outside and have a closer look. While gone, I wrote this on a newspaper that I planned to give her daughter "Dont worry, that's just old people, they always see things nobody else sees, just like my Mum. lol "
There were a number of people around us so I couldn't give it to her right away. Just as I was going to hand it to her, her Mum popped up and I left the paper on the coffee table sitting between us. I go to the washroom, come back and realize some dude reading the newspaper I had written on. He saw me sit down, looked at me and starting smiling. "Damn, this dude has seen my note" I thought. Of course I acted like I didn't know anything about it.  So he finishes going through the newspaper and passes it on to the old lady. She flips the page and sees what I had written. Mind you, I wrote in English, this is Sweden, so obviously, a foreigner might have written this. Looking around the table, I was the only black dude amidst all white Swedish people so it was likely me. I still kept a mean face like I had no idea what had went down.

This doctor, probably from somewhere in the middle east, kept saying everybody's name wrongly. He mentioned all names the same, so people had to crosscheck their names on his paper before they went in. He comes to call me and I feel like I have been saved by the bell. He speaks to me in Swedish in front of everyone and I respond in English. Right after I did, I realized my cover had been blown, so I entered his office with my head down in shame. I tell him my problem and he tells me to follow him to the "Ear Ward". We get there, tells me to take off my shoes and get on the bed. This doctor starts looking for some ear device; turning things around and opening drawers. He tells me he cannot find the device he is looking for so I should follow him to the next ward to check. So we go through 3 other wards and it's nowhere to be found. He makes me follow him back to his office, lets me lay down and he picks this sharp pointed tool which was a little rusty. I knew I didn't have to be a doctor to know he was going to stick some inappropriate tool in my ear. I politely asked if that was the tool he was looking for and he said "This is gonna work too". So I nervously laid back while he stuck this tool in my ear. I tell y'all, this thing hurt so badly I quickly got up and told him I felt uncomfortable. He then wrote for me a prescription medicine to buy in the pharmacy, apologized for being unprofessional and told me to come back and see him on Monday. I forgot to ask him if I were going to pay for consultation again, perhaps we will discuss that on Monday, I thought. He better say NO before I sue him and make him lose his license. 😅

So I got out and realized the old lady, her daughter and everyone else around our table staring dead in my eye, but the dude who passed the paper on to the old lady was smiling at me. I fearfully squeezed a quick smile at them and rushed out of the hospital. I didn't even take the elevator. I descended 7 floors without breaking a sweat,  that was how nervous I was. 

So that was my bitter-sweet day at the doctor's. I left out a couple of stuff just to keep this short, like this little Somali baby who gave his Mum hell in the waiting room. His rebellion actually incited the other calm white babies to start rebelling too. Together they tore the whole place up. Amidst all this distress, I was scratching like a junkie because my chest hair which I had shaved about week ago had starting growing back and was really itchy. MY GUESS IS, THESE PEOPLE THOUGHT I CAME TO SEE THE DOCTOR BECAUSE I WAS SOME SORT OF DRUG ADDICT; NO WONDER I WROTE SOME NONSENSE ON A NEWSPAPER THAT EVERYONE UNINTENTIONALLY SAW WHILE SCRATCHING MY CHEST THE ENTIRE TIME. haha

Hopefully my return to the hospital on Monday will be much more pleasant. 

Thanks for reading y'all..... ONE LOVE 👍

1 comment: